Friday 7 November 2014

Part III: Life in Chaing Mai



"Puppy life"

After my first ordeal at the vets it was time to rest and settle into life in Chaing Mai. During the first week I still needed lots of sleep to help me get better but when I was awake I made sure everybody knew about it! I started to enjoy chewing things, well anything from socks to buttons to fingers to shoe laces and I enjoyed being cheeky and hiding in the grass from Jade and Cass! I started going into the garden more regularly and even though I can't walk properly I started to pick up a bit more speed when I hobbled after Cass!

 

I also got to meet lots of people in Chaing Mai, the first being a student vet called Pascal. He was friends with Jade and Cass and he was really friendly towards me! He observed and examined me and said I was very small and weak but also a cute little fighter, he was also concerned about my leg and thought that I may have fragments of broken bone by the break. Luckily I have an x-ray booked later in the week!


The second lot of people I met were two American's called Robbie and Will, we had dinner a few times together in my favourite restaurant 'Mamory Delicious' where I am a local and always receive lots of attention! Even the boys noticed a difference in me, as the week went on I became more and more playful, we even went to the local park! One day I took a wrapped chocolate bar out of Jade's pocket and ran off with it! 
Even though I was feeling a lot better I was still weak and couldn't stay out for too long without getting very tired and needing my bed!


"The vet check up"

After a week of rest I had my vet check up! The first thing they wanted to do was a blood test to check my levels. The results showed lots of good news! My anemia had improved, I was only slightly under the expected levels and my platelet levels had returned to normal! I still have the blood parasite but with more treatment that should go within the next month! Another positive result was my weight gain which went up from 1.7kg to just over 2kg in less then a week! I then needed an x-ray of my legs.


The x-ray results revealed a lot for Jade and Cass. It showed that both my back legs were broken. The vet said I had been hit by something on one side, causing that leg to break and then I must have fallen the other way with force causing the other leg to not only break but the bone to fragment into lots of pieces (Pascal was right!). 
The vet couldn't actually do anything to help my legs as not only I am too little and not strong enough for an operation, my bones haven't calcified yet, making them too weak to operate on just yet. I was going to have a support bandage but the position of the break makes it too tricky. 
The vet then observed me walking, they were actually quite happy that I was able to get around and that the break didn't seem to cause me much pain or discomfort so they advised Jade and Cass to let me rest and gave them some more calcium treatment, joint supplements, an anti-inflammatory and pain killers. 


I was very nervous throughout my time at the vets so Jade and Cass gave me lots of cuddles!
The vet said that as long as I seem happy, can get around and don't seem in pain then I will be fine without an operation. Luckily I am very happy and I can get around! 




No comments:

Post a Comment